Tuesday, September 21, 2010

hold me, never let me go until you've told me..

Saturday Sept. 18th,
my friend Jenn and I went to go watch a TIFF showing of Never Let Me Go (in theatres soon)

*spoilers-don't read if you haven't read the book or know the story-*

Although I have not yet read the book I plan to as soon as I have some spare time. Although the majority of the time it's like it that the movie is not as moving as the novel itself- I found the movie to be beautifully hauting. As a long-time anticipator for this movie I was definetely not dissapointed.

If I had to critique anything however, I would say that it lacked some depth. But extending a movie to three hours or so could fix this. I felt a little lacking in Andrew Garfield's character Tommy as he was never really shown alone so it was hard to see why he did some of the things he did. As well with certain scenes, it makes you wonder if pregnancies are possible- whereas in the book you know that they are sterile.Also my friend and I discovered how they cut out the scene where Cathy loses her tape & in the movie she also dies a.. virgin, basically.

On the other hand, cutting certain details was the right choice as some audiences don't appreciate sitting through three-four hour movies.


Overall however, I fell in love with Kazuo Ishiguro's brilliant theme of time- and how there is only a short lifespan we are given (see interview below) whether it be 30 years or 90.
The directors who brilliantly portrayed it & whose proper style provided a nice contrast and balance to a story which could have turned into a mindless melodramatic tear jerker if not handled correctly.

The beauty of the music, acting, strength of the characters, sets & design, screenplay were only a few to name of what I loved about the work. It satisfied me (and a crying 500+ packed theatre) with a rush of emotions that only few movies can.

Brilliantly Haunting. I won't be surprised if all three win oscars- Mulligan, Garfield, or Mark Romanek(director). [Keira Knightley was amazing as well- but my vote's on Carey]


TRAILER


& Interview with Kazuo

No comments:

Post a Comment